Although our classrooms have changed and we don’t have the opportunity to meet with you in person, the goal is still the same. Which means that even though things appear to be slightly different, the same expectations remain, and your success in the Court Reporting Program at WESTEC is largely dependent on YOU.
You have been, and will continue to be, provided all of the tools necessary to help you on this path that you have chosen toward your future career. It is up to YOU to utilize those tools, practice, attend every class and make every effort in your power to ensure that you reach your destination as a licensed Court Reporter.
Please be aware that ALL DICTATION CLASSES ARE IMPORTANT regardless if you need the tests given in a particular class. Each speed will have a “Lab” period during the day. Take this time to attend a class that is above or below your actual speed class if possible.
· Sit up a speed. This is when you will have the opportunity to get those fingers moving and practice speed-building even though you may not get every word.
· Sit down a speed. This is when you can work on your accuracy and add to your dictionary.
· Stay for the tests regardless of the speed. Every bit of live dictation you get will only make you better.
The classes are designed to improve your writing by repetition, which truly is your best friend.
Another tool that will aid you in your endeavors in reaching this goal is homework. The homework is designed to encourage you to be on your machine as much as possible by teaching that practice and perseverance will definitely make you a better writer.
· The Must-Types teach you to not only write, but to be able to read your own notes and put those notes into a logical and acceptable format.
· The Vocabulary/Spelling homework is designed to increase your knowledge and familiarity with words that stretch you from basic college-level words to legal and medical terminology and beyond. It is not meant to be easy. If it were easy, everyone would be able to do it.
With that said, the Homework policy should be very clear to every student enrolled in the Court Reporting program.
· Homework is due every Thursday. Because the program is online, the homework is due every Thursday unless there is some unusual circumstance that prevents you from completing the homework. The final decision as to whether or not late homework is accepted will be made by the Program Manager.
· You may not pass a speed test unless all of your homework has been turned in and you receive 60% or higher on each assignment.
We want you to be successful! But the most important thing is that YOU want to be successful. It is entirely up to you. Your future is in YOUR hands.
Questions? Contact Lisa P for Vocab/Spelling, Sam for Must-Types and Gary for everything else.
WESTEC P.O. Box 1210 5801 E. Lerdo Hwy, Shafter, CA 93263 US VEA EL MAPA EN LA PAGINA PRINCIPAL
Copyright © 2020 WESTEC
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder